[Orgmode] Re: Sorting agenda items

From: Manish
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Sorting agenda items
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 12:36:24 +0530

  On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 1:59 AM, Manish wrote:
  > Hello All,
  >
  >   I would like to set up a daily agenda view with todos sorted in the
  >  following order:
  >
  >   1. Timed TODOs
  >   2. DEADLINES
  >   3. TODO type - STARTED
  >   4. TODO type - NEXT
  >   5. TODO type - TODO
  >
  >   I could find/figure out how to do #1 and #2 but #3-5 escape me.  I
  >  hope I did not miss it in the manual.
  >
  >   The whole idea is to spend minimum brain cycles while picking up
  >  next item from the agenda.  One way that makes sense for me is to
  >  reduce the size of region that I would scan while picking up next item
  >  (i.e. set of NEXT todos).  I think it's possible if one uses tags to
  >  mark task state changes.  Not sure how to do it with TODO keywords.  I
  >  wonder if people just pick up whatever is on the top of the agenda or
  >  scan the whole list everytime you want to pick up next task?
  >
  >  Hope it made sense.

  While searching for how people deal with this, I found this almost 3
year old wonderful post about strategies to approach your tasks:
http://www.murtworld.com/2005/04/revolving-workflow-strategies.php .

  And with latest sorting options "effort-up" and "effort-down", I
guess I have a sensible way to decide which next actions to pick up.
Thanks Carsten.  I am thinking it's even better than sorting on TODO
keywords.

  Now if only I can sort tasks based on their creation dates as
well. ;-) Just kidding.

-- Manish