Re: [Orgmode] processing pending emails as part of your GTD system

From: Christopher League
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] processing pending emails as part of your GTD system
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 23:38:32 -0400

On Apr 23, 2008, at 11:34 AM, address@hidden wrote:
How did you know about this ``message://%3c%3e'' schema syntax!? Is there anything else I can do to Mail from within Emacs (or from within Quicksilver {see footnote}). Where can I read more! Is it safe to upgrade Mail (i.e. if I upgrade to OS X 10.666 will this script break?)

Things like this change all the time between OS revisions, so no guarantee. I think the message URLs are new in Leopard (10.5). You can find some details here:

http://daringfireball.net/2007/12/message_urls_leopard_mail

The macosxhints.com site is good too for tricks like that. I think I just modified someone else's "Copy Message URL" script to put it in the right format for org-mode. I'm no apple-script expert either.

It seems that the message is found even if I move it to another folder within Mail after generating the link; anything I need to be warned about?

Yes, Mail in Leopard indexes all the messages and (usually) follows them through refiles. Once in a while a linked message can't be found, but if I revisit the folder or "synchronize with server", then it works again.

I often have two message viewers open (one with mailboxes showing and one without, for easier filing {see footnote}) -- how does your script (or Mail) choose which one is 'selected'?

No idea, likely the last Mail window with focus?

1) Why doesn't the applescript work for the messages in the first folder I tried - my GTD folder? Messages from the org-mode digest are automatically filed to "On My Mac" -> "Reference" -> "GHI" -> "GTD" to help keep my inbox clean. But any message I try to run your script on gives me blank "id" properties.

Example: [[message://%3c%3e][Emacs-orgmode Digest, Vol 26, Issue 54]]

Hm, that %3c%3e means that there was no message-ID field for that message. If you look at "Long Headers" and there IS a "Message-ID:" field (there is on org-mode messages for me), then maybe it has to do with Mail's index after auto-filing. I do my auto-filing on the server with procmail, so I never use Mail's facility for that.

2) The emacs-lisp code calls (yank) which doesn't grab text from the Apple Clipboard for me. I am using "GNU Emacs 22.1.50.1 (powerpc- apple-darwin7.9.0, Carbon Version 1.6.0) of 2007-10-02 on applecore.inf.ed.ac.uk - Aquamacs Distribution 1.2a" and org-version 5.23a. Instead, I modified your code to use (cua-paste).

Okay, simple enough. Mine is GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (i386-apple-darwin9, Carbon Version 1.6.0) [compiled from emacs22-carbon in Fink].

I use Quicksilver, but don't have much in the way of Mail integration. Let me know if you find something.

Chris