Re: [Orgmode] Org-Mode Presentation Videos

From: srandby
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Org-Mode Presentation Videos
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 14:02:07 -0400

Sebastian Rose wrote:
address@hidden wrote:
One comment. I've been using LaTeX for about 15 years, Emacs for about 2 years and Org-Mode for about 8 months. My LaTeX files are heavily customized and I'm used to working with them without org-mode. My few, and not very serious, attempts to move my LaTeX work to org-mode have not given satisfactory results, so I've put off changing my work flow until I have more time to figure out the LaTeX export features of org-mode. But, I am using org-mode extensively for my other work related tasks. I have org files that keep track of my students' grades and my web site is built from a single org file. As you pointed out in your talk, org-mode allows one to work!

There was a post on this list from Russel Adams, that shows how to use
custom LaTeX headers. My setup is derived from that post, and enables
the usage of a commen LaTeX-header for Org export and the rest of my
LaTeX files:

.emacs:

(setq org-export-latex-classes (cons '("myarticle"
     "% BEGIN My Article Defaults
\\input{/home/sebastian/develop/lib/latex/header-pdf.tex}
"

     ("\\rzchapteridx{%s}" . "\\rzchapteridx{%s}")
     ("\\rzsection{%s}{}" . "\\rzsection{%s}")
     ("\\rzsubsection{%s}" . "\\rzsubsection{%s}")
     ("\\rzsubsubsection{%s}" . "\\rzsubsubsection{%s}"))
     org-export-latex-classes))

As you can see here, I include the common header file, and customize
the classes used for headlines on export. Since now the creation of
PDFs is now possible directly from Org-mode (C-c C-e p), this is the
easiest way to do it.

*.org:

#+LaTeX_CLASS: myarticle

Thanks for this information. I still have a long way to go before I can use org-mode for LaTeX export.

First, I don't know emacs lisp. I've been planning to learn it, but finding the time is difficult and I'm not a professional programmer.

Second, the customizations I use for LaTeX vary widely between files. My understanding of your code, please correct me if I'm wrong, is that if I have multiple header files for different types of documents, then I must change my .emacs each time I want to change headers. This doesn't seem to be very convenient to me. I suppose it is possible to write some code to take care of multiple header files, but what if one has a brand new header file?

Please understand that I haven't really explored the LaTeX export features of org-mode very thoroughly. However, my impression is that the LaTeX export capabilities of org-mode are somewhat limited at this time. This isn't a bad thing. I don't think org-mode was designed to be a replacement for something like AUCTeX. Anyway, org-mode is works well for me for non-LaTeX tasks, so I'll continue to rely on it.

Scott Randby