Re: [Orgmode] Org-mode idea?

From: Matthew Lundin
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Org-mode idea?
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 10:02:21 -0600

Manish <address@hidden> writes:

>   On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 7:51 PM, Dennis Groves (CISG) wrote:
>   > Hello All,
>   >
>   > I am sort of new to org-mode; I have been using it for some time
>   > but since I am not a software engineer I am afraid I am not able
>   > to make use of all the capabilities nor do I fully understand them
>   > all...
>   >
>   > That said, in terms of life management; nothing even comes close
>   > to the power and utility of org-mode in my experience so I use it.
>   >

> Yep. +1 :)
>
>   > I use org-mode for projects, exercise and fitness, and a daily
>   > task-diary.  And I currently do this all in one big giant unwieldy
>   > file.
>
> FWIW, I currently split it mainly into personal.org and
> my-current-employer.org.

I've tried both big files and multiple small files, and I've found
that big org-files provide the fastest access to my projects. Using
narrow and agenda subtree views, it's easy to drill down to smaller
views of particular projects.

My files: personal.org, professional.org, notes.org (for random stuff
I want to keep that's not related to a current project).

>   >
>   > I recently suffered a loss of data on my main computer. And as
>   > such I really want to get my data into a git repository and have
>   > that backed up regularly.

Yes, version control is the way to go. I, alas, am still stuck in
Subversion world, but it's actually a fairly good solution to keep
home directories in sync on multiple computers.

Matt