[Orgmode] Org-mode version number

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: [Orgmode] Org-mode version number
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 08:06:44 +0100

Hi,

I want to clarify the version numbers I am using for org-mode. Some of this system was used already in the past, but in the future I will implement it more rigorously:

Major releases have version numbers like 6.12.

Small cleanup-releases quickly after a major release will be 6.12a, 6.12b, ...

During the development period between two releases, the version number will
look like this: 6.12trans.  That means this is after 6.12x.

In the run-up to a release, version numbers will be like 6.13pre01. During this time I am trying to avoid new features, only polishing and documenting
what is there.

Note that most of these version numbers uniquely identify a version. However, the "trans" version numbers applies to many different steps, and during this time, the only way to uniquely identify the version you are using is through the
sha1 of the git commit.

- Carsten