[Orgmode] Re: [ANN] Org Invoice 1.0.0

From: Ulf Stegemann
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: [ANN] Org Invoice 1.0.0
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 12:38:53 +0100

Hi Peter,

Peter Jones <address@hidden> wrote:

> I thought I'd share some elisp that I'm using in conjunction with
> org-mode for helping me prepare invoices.
>
> The attached file is useful for producing an org mode dblock that groups
> headings by date and calculates billing information based on your hourly
> rate.  It also has a clean API for other elisp packages to use.

yesterday, I had the time to have a quick look at org-invoice. It
already looks very interesting. Thank you for sharing this.

If you plan to expand your package I'd have suggestions for it:
Currently, times are always given as hours and rates as hourly rates.
This is fine for a collection of smaller tasks. For projects it's much
more common to use person days, -weeks or -months. So it would be nice
if one could choose between these calculation schemes (or if the best
scheme would be chosen automatically). NB that it's quite common that a
person day is not hourly rate times eight, so different rates would be
necessary, too. And while we are at it, a column that indicates the rate
used would be fine.

Another nice feature would be to have invoice items with a fixed price,
i.e. where the price is not calculated based on work or clock time.
Imagine e.g. hardware sold along with IT services or things like that.

Those things are rather ideas than feature requests but nevertheless, I
thought I'll let you know as I think org-invoice has quite a good
potential, e.g. I can imagine that it's not only handy for actual
invoices but also for project planning, cost estimates, bids and all
other things where a cost component is involved.

Ulf