Re: [Orgmode] Re: Release 6.17

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Release 6.17
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 17:01:14 +0100

On Jan 4, 2009, at 3:33 PM, Steven E. Harris wrote:

Code references use special labels embedded directly into the source
code.  Such labels look like "((name))" and must be unique within a
document.

How does the parser know that, say, "((def))" is not a valid expression
in the surrounding Lisp forms? Is it important that it be separated by
space, or be the last token on the line?

Trying to concoct a motivating example, consider a structure represented
as nested lists:

,----
| '(a
|   ((b c) d)
|   (((e) f))    ((def))
|   g)
`----

Without knowing what the enclosing `quote' form means, how do know that
"((def))" is not part of it?

Hi Steven,

good question, and the answer is that is does not know,
cannot know, because this is a feature that is supposed
to work for any kind of example, an the parser cannot
know all possible syntaxes :-)

This idea is to make this work in a heuristic way, by using something
that is unlikely enough to occur in real code.

You are right that what I am using might be too
dangerous for emacs lisp or other lisp dialects, and
it could also show up in other languages like C.

What would be safer?

 <<name>>    like the other Org-mode targets?  That would make sense.
             Does anyone know a language where this would be used
             in real life?  It would make it harder to write about
             Org-mode, though.

Or do we need another option, so that, if needed, we could switch do
a different syntax?

Comments are very welcome.

- Carsten