[Orgmode] Re: DocBook exporter for Org-mode

From: Gour
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: DocBook exporter for Org-mode
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 17:58:33 +0100

>>>>> "Baoqiu" == Baoqiu Cui <address@hidden> writes:

Baoqiu> It is true that many open-source tools around DocBook are still
Baoqiu> not perfect, but they should be good enough for most of the work
Baoqiu> of most users.  Some commercial tools exist and are better, but
Baoqiu> they are not free.  (I have not used reST, however it does not
Baoqiu> seem to me that it has more tools than DocBook.)

Well, frankly speaking, I consider that XML simply sucks as authoring
format. I was playing with FOP several years ago and I'd never replace
it with TeX typesetting.

Baoqiu> I just checked reST markup specifications, and they do look
Baoqiu> powerful (but not very lightweight).

Well, reST is, imho, (similar to markdown), much more readable than XML
with all those brackets.

Baoqiu> Maybe it *is* time to have a standard to unify all these
Baoqiu> plain-text based lightweight markup languages: Muse, Org, reST,
Baoqiu> asciidoc, all kinds of *wiki*, doxygen styles, etc.

Maybe Creole (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creole_(markup) )?

Baoqiu> These languages won't be lightweight and easy to read once they
Baoqiu> become more powerful.  At that point, I'd prefer to go back to
Baoqiu> LaTeX or DocBook.

I do not miss any feature in reST for my writing, the whole Python docs
is written with it and it is for me still much readable in 'source' form
than DocBook.

Baoqiu> That may require some code sharing/merging between rst.el and
Baoqiu> Org-mode, I guess.  :-)

Heh, I'm curious to know more about it. ;)

Sincerely,
Gour

--

Gour  | Zagreb, Croatia  | GPG key: C6E7162D