Re: [Orgmode] generating titles in remember templates from w3 buffers [w

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] generating titles in remember templates from w3 buffers [was:Re: feature request]
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 09:47:38 +0100

On Mar 24, 2009, at 9:03 PM, Robert D. Crawford wrote:

As I mentioned below, using the annotation expansion in the template
does not work when using w3.  I did see the error in my template and
have fixed it (unnecessary brackets).  I am wondering if there is some
other way to get the title or if it can be added as a feature.

Hi Robert,

Unfortunately I do not know about a variable that does hold the
title of a page in w3.  In w3m there is w3m-current-title.
In w3, all I was able to find is the URL via

    (org-view-url t)

If anyone knows the magic incantation to extract the page
title in a w3 buffer, I'd be happy to make it the default
for the link description.

- Carsten

I've changed the post below to reflect the change in my template and
what it returns.

Thanks in advance for any help,
rdc

"Robert D. Crawford" <address@hidden> writes:

Matthew Lundin <address@hidden> writes:

I've been trying to make an org-remember template that will grab the title of the webpage I want to create a link to. This seems to not be
possible, although I could very well be wrong.  I was curious as to
whether a new keyword could be created for w3 and w3m links. Seems that
:title would be very useful.

When I use w3m, the annotation substitution (%a) in the remember
template does the trick. It grabs the url and title of the current page
(using org-store-link).

Thanks.  This does work for w3m but using w3 it returns this:

* [[http:// www.gnu.org]] :gnu:

from this template:

'((?b "* %a %^g %!" "~/bookmarks.org" bottom)

Later today, if I get the chance, I'll explore the solution proposed by
Sebastian Rose.

As stated in a previous mail, Sebastian's solution works for browsers
outside of emacs.

--
Robert D. Crawford                                      address@hidden

If your mother knew what you're doing, she'd probably hang her head and cry.