Re: [Orgmode] Latex export - footnotes and emphasis

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Latex export - footnotes and emphasis
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 11:41:35 +0200

On Mar 30, 2009, at 11:27 AM, Scot Becker wrote:

I can confirm this.

Another related issue is that italics and bold do not mix in latex export. You can't do something like this:

/An italicized sentence with a *bold* bit./  or *vice /versa/*.

Nested emphasis is indeed not possible.

However, as a LaTeX user, I think you can do

/An italicized sentence with a \textbf{bold} bit./

Also, and this may be unavoidable without adding significant complexity to the export engine.

Indeed.

  But you can't, e.g.
/carry your emphasis on until after the punctuation is over./ (It's been a while since I tested this. I'll check it out again today).

This does work, I think.

For LaTeX export in particular, it would be nice to have finer control over just where the emphasis goes. For periods it's not generally an issue :-), but some of the taller punctuation get into fistfights with their text if they aren't allowed to be italicized too.

Emphasis is one of the nightmares, and I will only work
on this at gun point :-)

- Carsten

Scot