[Orgmode] Re: org-mode is turning off soft word wrapping.

From: Bernt Hansen
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: org-mode is turning off soft word wrapping.
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 14:32:34 -0400

Good Bad <address@hidden> writes:

> When I visit a text file, a C file or a TeX file, it is in soft word wrapping
> mode, i.e. long lines get wrapped, but without really inserting newlines.
>
> But when I visit an org file, it is not in word wrapping mode, i.e. longs
> lines
> never gets wrapped, you can't see the whole line if the line is too long.
>
> 1. How do I turn on soft word wrapping in org-mode?

I have a function key mapped to this.  There is a function
(set-truncate-lines) that toggles wrapping on and off.

,----[ from my .emacs ]
| (global-set-key (kbd "<f7>") 'set-truncate-lines)
`----

I personally like the not-wrapped default but if I need to read a long
line I just hit F7, read it, and then unwrap it with F7 again.

> 2. If org-mode automatically turning off word wrapping is a feature, what is
> the
> reason non-wrapping mode should be prefered in org-mode? I can see why in
> ediff
> mode tho.
>
> I don't know what word wrapping mode and non-word wrapping mode are called in
> emacs speak.

Having lines not wrap when viewing wide org-mode tables is a good thing.

HTH,
-Bernt