Re: [Orgmode] iCal export - possible timezone bug

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] iCal export - possible timezone bug
Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 09:18:11 +0200

On May 7, 2009, at 7:45 PM, Nick Dokos wrote:

Richard Riley <address@hidden> wrote:

X-WR-TIMEZONE:Europe/Berlin

and a quick test confirmed this. I don't have a clue if this is
emacs
side or more in org's remit, but hope this helps.

The only time zone information I get from Emacs is the abbreviation.
Does anyone know how to concert this into the longer form?

- Carsten

I asked in the emacs irc and drew a blank. Possibly use what you do
unless an org-timezone string is set for now?

this makes sense.

For now the variable is org-ical-timezone, maybe
later it will be aliased to org-timezone.

Available now.

- Carsten

tested, works. As does the fix on the export. Thanks.

It might be a good idea to initialize the variable from the TZ
environment variable (if that is set). That way, one could add

   export TZ
   TZ=Europe/Amsterdam

e.g., in the appropriate login shell initialization file and get the
correct behavior with the system date as well as with org-icalendar.

OK, good idea, done.

Note however that Org does store time and date without
time zone information attached to it, so changing the TZ environment
variable will not change the display in the agenda etc.

- Carsten

I find the timezone stuff very confusing in general, but I have the
(perhaps incorrect) impression that people actually use the TZ env
variable sometimes, although I guess that Linux distros in general try
to automagically do the right thing at installation time by copying the appropriate tzfile into /etc/localtime, so you don't have to worry about
TZ; but if you are switching between timezones or want to override the
default, TZ does work:

  export TZ=US/Eastern
  date
  export TZ=US/Pacific
  date
  export TZ=Europe/Berlin
  date

works as expected (this is on Ubuntu 8.04 - BTW, the tzfiles are in
/usr/share/zoneinfo on this distro.)

Nick