Re: [Orgmode] In response to: .emacs works on Mac but not on Ubuntu

From: Graham Smith
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] In response to: .emacs works on Mac but not on Ubuntu
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 17:46:34 +0100

Ian

Thanks,  it just worked  with 8.01 which is why I am struggling now.

> I am using Ubuntu Jaunty with a setup almost identical to yours and mine
> "Just works". Are you certain that:
>
>> (setq load-path (cons "~/EmacsAddins/OrgMode/lisp" load-path))
>> (setq load-path (cons "~/EmacsAddins/OrgMode/contrib/lisp" load-path))
>
> Points to the correct version of org? Some things to try:

It was the directory copied from the Mac, so it was 6.xx, but I have
just updated to latest version of web site.

> Remove the compiled lisp files (*.elc).

I have none to remove that I can find.

> Edit org-install.el and type in some garbage. If emacs is trying to load
> this library it should blow up with an error.
I haven't tried this, but the error message I get suggests an error
trying to load org.install, which I assume is because it can't find
it.

The error message is

Cleaning up the recentf list...done (0 removed)

An error has occurred while loading `/home/graham/.emacs':

File error: Cannot open load file, org-install

> My default ubuntu emacs22 doesn't have any org packages loaded by default.
> Try doing an apt-cache purge org-mode, which should completely remove the
> Ubuntu version if it's installed.

I have run this and get an error

"address@hidden:~$ sudo apt-cache purge org-mode
[sudo] password for graham:
E: Invalid operation purge"

I have also tried this:

"address@hidden:~$ emacs --debug-init"

but get

Cleaning up the recentf list...done (0 removed)
require: Cannot open load file: debug"

Graham