Re: [Orgmode] Re: Latest Org and Carbon Emacs

From: Peter Frings
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Latest Org and Carbon Emacs
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 09:25:38 +0200

On 09 Jul 2009, at 23:32, Matthew Lundin wrote:

Karl Maihofer <address@hidden> writes:

Until now I used Org with Debian GNU/Linux. Today I bought a MacBook
Pro 13" and I spent the evening making my first steps with MacOS. I
installed the Carbon Emacs package and configured Emacs to use the
latest Org-Version that I copied to ~/elisp/org-mode/.

If I remember correctly. the old org lisp files are located in
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/textmodes.

I found it easiest to install the new org files directly to the
Emacs.app directory.

I've seen this approach mentioned several times, but I think it makes things more complicated then they should be. By keeping the app and the libs in separate places, the two can be updated independently. Emacs provides ample ways of supporting this style -- actually, I guess it was meant to work that way, until the bundles came along...

Of course, it's very convenient when you download Carbon Emacs (or others) that everything is in place, but since when do Linuxers care about convenience? :-)

Cheers,
Peter.