[Orgmode] Re: org-style folding for a .emacs

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: org-style folding for a .emacs
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 16:39:59 +0200

Hi Eric,

"Eric Schulte" wrote:
> Sébastien Vauban <address@hidden> writes:
>> I'm a heavy user of "literate programming" for rapports I write for clients
>> (in fact, for me, first, but I give them to our clients as well).
>>
>> Up to a couple of months ago, I was doing literate programming via LaTeX
>> and nuweb, from Windows as my nuweb binary was just available for that
>> platform. So, writing a `.w' file from which I extract a `.tex' one and the
>> source code.
>>
>> Then, the last time I did it, I switched to doing such reports under
>> Ubuntu, with the noweb package. That is a `.nw' file which is "compiled" to
>> a `.tex', and which is as well outputting all my code.

I'll describe my editing process in a separate thread (that will be called
"Literate Programming with Org").

>> This is nice, and works well. But, now, I am trying as hard as possible to
>> avoid writing LaTeX directly and let Org do the work for me. So, if I can
>> use Org to create my `.tex' file and the source code from it as well (did I
>> understand correctly?), then that will be wonderful.
>>
>> Do you have examples or a tiny tutorial about this?
>
> There are two small examples which should be helpful.  First grab a copy
> of the org-babel code [1].  Then load org-babel [2].
>
> To demonstrate extraction of code, open "test-tangle.org" file in the
> base of the org-babel directory and run `org-babel-tangle'.  This should
> create a couple of source-code files in the same directory.

OK.

> To demonstrate creation of documents, open the "test-export.org" file in
> the base of the org-babel directory, and export it as you would any
> other org-mode file.  The "exports" header argument controls how
> source-code blocks are exported, with the following options
>
> - none :: no part of the source-code block is exported in the document
> - results :: only the output of the evaluated block is exported
> - code :: the code itself is exported
> - both :: both the code and results are exported

I have this error showing up:

executing Ruby source code block
apply: Searching for program: no such file or directory, irb

>> PS- Excellent you're looking at this, because I thought I was the latest
>>     "literate programmer" on earth. All the mailing lists about that are
>>     dying.
>
> While I find the notion of literate programming very appealing, I have
> no practical experience with it.  The literate programming functionality
> in org-babel was inspired by talking with Eric Neilsen and by the sense
> that literate programming fit with org-babel's focus on code blocks.
>
> As you are actually familiar with literate programming and tools like
> noweb, I would be very interested to hear your thoughts on the current
> and potential future literate programming implementations in org-babel.

For sure. I'll be more than happy to describe what I do. In case we all can
come to something (much) better than the current way I do things.

Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban