Re: [Orgmode] [Announcement] Org-babel initial release

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] [Announcement] Org-babel initial release
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 14:03:16 -0600

Sebastian Rose <address@hidden> writes:

> "Eric Schulte" <address@hidden> writes:

>> Yes, currently the best way to get a feel for how to add languages would
>> be to start with an existing language file (I'd suggest
>> org-babel-python.el or org-babel-ruby.el, or for simpler less
>> comprehensive language support look at org-babel-ditaa or
>> org-babel-haskell) and make changes from there.  I agree that a brief
>> tutorial for adding language support would be helpful.
>

> A skeleton maybe?
> And just a few comments describing the I/O of the basic functions
> (and/or the global vars/containers that take the results).

Good idea, I'm attaching an org-babel-template.el file which tries to be
just that.  I'd be interested to hear how it works for you, or if you
want to make any changes.  Once there is a good version maybe it would
be a good thing to either add to the babel/lisp/langs directory, or at
least to post on Worg.

>> There are two key language specific features which keep us from treating
>> all interpreted languages identically.
>> 1) Org-babel collects the last value of a source-code block to be
>>    returned (see [1]) and this value needs to be collected and
>>    potentially converted into elisp in a language specific manner
>> 2) Org-babel has support for evaluation in a session allowing
>>    persistence of state between different blocks which use the same
>>    session.  I now notice that the :session header argument is not
>>    currently documented on the Worg page.  I'll try to add this
>>    documentation soon.  The sessions are handled through Emacs comint
>>    buffers which are very language specific.
>

> Ahhh, I now comprehend.  You're library makes all kinds of source blocks
> work together as  a whole. Great! I now  understand your intention! Make
> that old  joke become true:  "Emacs is a  great OS, it's just  missing a
> good editor" :-D
>    ..... Nachtigall ick hör dir trappsen ...

:)

heh, I hadn't thought of it that way, but yea, the idea is to allow
different languages to interact all using emacs-lisp as the
lower-common-denominator.

Best -- Eric