[Orgmode] Re: [off-topic/GTD]Only Next Actions list to rule them all ?

From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: [off-topic/GTD]Only Next Actions list to rule them all ?
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 13:30:41 -0500

Another thing I'd like to add:

The only one next actions lists put the importance on actions, not on projects. And isn't that what GTD is essentially about? Managing actions?

As long as you are acting up on your actions, that's fine, the need to check the projects is not that frequent, in my opinion.

When you have actions below projects, you end up by thinking too much if the action really fits on this project or if it belongs to a different project/outcome. At least that's what happens to me. When I have a single project list, I feel more freedom to just list outcomes and related actions in the actions lists, then I check the project lists and eventually find out that some outcomes have been reached. Good!

For example, when I get to the point that I decided that there is a next action that results from a piece of data I'm processing, I might just add it to the next actions lists, well written, or add it to its corresponding project.

Of course, I could use remember and set it up to fill from the existing project maybe (like, remember, tasks, type, choose the project from the project list), but it is much more keystrokes than just saving it in the Next Actions list. It's a more organic way to work, has less structure.

On the other hand, most of this could be achieved by using the agenda view and other org filtering features, and still keep a list of projects, sub-projects and next-actions, all in one, like:

(Always ordered by priority)

* Projects and Next Actions
** A project/outcome :PROJECT:
*** TODO Do something :HOME:
*** A subproject :PROJECT:
**** TODO Do something! :HOME:
*** TODO Do something else :OFFICE:

Then, in the agenda, I can filter by HOME / OFFICE or TODO and would have a flat list of actions too.

More configuration, but more you get, when you view the Projects and Next Actions list, the information of to which project this next action belongs, which might not be that important, as I'm interested on doing, not reviewing the landscape all the time, but could be useful sometimes (when the action is not specific enough you can't tell the related outcome).

What do you guys think?