Re: [Orgmode][babel] noweb does not work (as expected)

From: Dan Davison
Subject: Re: [Orgmode][babel] noweb does not work (as expected)
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 11:04:32 -0500

Hi Torsten,

Torsten Wagner <address@hidden> writes:

<...>
> Could you please tell me which of the branches in the babel-git includes the
> best working version for noweb usage.

Important: The only version of org-babel that's intended for users is
the version in current org-mode. I.e. the current master branch of
Carsten's org-mode repository. The other repository (the babel repo) is
for development only. Any stable improvements in there are rapidly
merged into Carsten's repo.

> I got a bit confused with all this branches.
> Maybe I do something wrong during the installation from git. I actually only
> run standard make; make install;

Personally I don't bother with make or make install when switching
between git branches. I just load straight from the .el files. But like
I said, unless you're making changes to the code, just use the main
org-mode git branch in whatever way you normally would.

> and I set a symlink of the contrib folder into my .emacs.d from where emacs
> will find the babel files. Actually I'm wondering why the contribs are not
> copied by make into the elisp-path.
>
> Furthermore, I noticed that babel-git uses a complete org-mode branch for the
> development of org-babel. Is this to keep org-mode freezed and to control
> merging with the main org-mode developments?
> I once read about git submodules [1]. Maybe this is interesting for org-babel.

Disclaimer: I only started using git submodules last night.

I think the main point is that the current set up means that org-mode
and org-babel share a common history of commits. My current idea of git
submodules is that I would include something as a submodule when it is a
module that gets used by multiple different projects, and so doesn't
'belong' to any project in particular. But org-babel belongs to org-mode
and has no independent existence and I think it makes sense for it to be
developed in an org-mode repo.

But away from org-mode, git submodules look really cool -- they seem to
be exactly what I was looking for to organize projects which share some
code in common.

Dan