[Orgmode] Re: [OT] How do you keep your reference data?

From: Bernt Hansen
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: [OT] How do you keep your reference data?
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 11:13:13 -0500

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <address@hidden> writes:

> I liked your self-contained approach, and I will try implementing it
> in my workflow. Org does not stop amazing me on how flexible it is :)
>
> However, the value of having a wiki is also great IMO. It has a
> workflow similar to tomboy (each new org file acts as a new tomboy
> note) I don't have to think too much when creating a wiki page (just
> type TheNameOfTheSubject.org, save it and begin typing, they are in a
> central location (a wiki folder) and they are a great place to
> register knowledge data.
>
> I don't know, that might be because I used WikiDPad for a long time on
> my Windows days and loved its approach (Two things that org lacks as a
> wiki-system, which is a way to view the wiki in a tree format and
> automatically create links based on files in the filesystem or
> camelcase. Not big deal features, but something that could be
> contributed as a org extension - I would do it if I had the elisp
> knowledge to do so :))

I used to use a wiki ... but I personally prefer the org->HTML export
sequence to a wiki.  All of my documents are available in org-mode
source.

I don't have the need to have multiple users edit the same source (which
is the whole point of a wiki IMO).  Wiki's have other issues if they are
world editable - like spam bots and other things which I just didn't
want to deal with.

I found the org-mode format with export at least as powerful as the
wiki's I've used.  If you community of people working on the same
content where some of them don't use org-mode then a wiki probably makes
sense.

I just don't need it for my workflow.

-Bernt