Re: [Orgmode] Re: Beamer support in Org-mode

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Beamer support in Org-mode
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 08:15:34 +0000

At Thu, 26 Nov 2009 15:47:53 -0600,
Russell Adams wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 10:38:20PM +0100, S??bastien Vauban wrote:
> > I just know ('ve seen it) that Russell Adams (hep!??;-)) uses Prosper, one
> > of
> > the old alternatives, before Beamer came on the "market". Maybe he could
> > tell
> > us some interesting things about this planned construction?
>
> I heard my name *ears burning*.
>
> I just made my first Beamer presentation in Org recently, and I'm
> *sold* on it.
>
> http://www.adamsinfoserv.com/AISTWiki/pub/AIS/Presentations/HoustonAIXUsersGroup_ToolsTipsTricks.pdf

On this note, the slides I was preparing and which in some sense
motivated this whole org to beamer debate can be found here
temporarily:

  http://www.homepages.ucl.ac.uk/~ucecesf/tmp/heatandpipes.pdf

See particularly slide 100 for the type of slide I would like to be
able to handle easily in org mode, if at all possible.

> > > Also, I do agree with others that to the extent possible we want
> > > presentations to emerge naturally out of 'normal' org-files
> >
> > Yes, I do have the same concern. An Org file for Beamer or a standard Org
> > file
> > should have almost no differences -- except for the class. I think it's even
> > possible for small and standard slides show that there would be no
> > difference
> > at all, except once again the length of sentence and the numerous headlines.
>
> I think any Beamer enhancements should be encoded in the headline
> properties (section, transition, etc). Don't introduce new syntax,
> make it work out of the box with reasonable defaults, and then allow
> customization via property drawers for individual headlines, and the
> export options header for global options.

I agree with you.  What I've done so far is leverage the current
capabilities of org without requiring any changes.  All of my slides
were generated by my adding my own interpretation of level 3+
headlines, an interpretation that is indeed beamer specific.  This is
probably not ideal but it worked!

However, I must admit that I'm not too bothered about having a
specific interpretation of headlines in my case because I don't mix
presentations with other org content.  My talks are always standalone
files.  Nevertheless, I know others work differently and I'm sure I
can imagine cases where I would like to have a small set of slides
embedded within a larger org files.