[Orgmode] Re: New beamer support

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: New beamer support
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 11:59:45 +0100

Hi Carsten,

Carsten Dominik wrote:
> Sébastien Vauban wrote:
>>
>> The few things I'm tackling right now are:
>>
>> - How to get a TOC with a frame title, without having to add it explicitly?
>
> What would you like to have the LaTeX to be like?

See the line I added manually in the example Org file:

>> #+BEAMER: \frame{\frametitle{Table of Contents}\tableofcontents}

Now, we can discuss about the right title for the TOC slide:
- Table of Contents?
- Table of contents?
- Contents?
- Plan?

Maybe that should become a customizable variable with a nice default value...

>> - How to get alerted text, without customizing `org-export-emphasis-
>>   alist'?  Has this been forgotten from the commit?
>
> I don't remember this.  Can you please remind me?

See the discussion with Eric on
http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg19862.html.

Currently (git version of 10 mins ago), I have nothing defined for `@':

org-export-latex-emphasis-alist is a variable defined in `org-latex.el'.
Its value is
(("*" "\\textbf{%s}" nil)
 ("/" "\\emph{%s}" nil)
 ("_" "\\underline{%s}" nil)
 ("+" "\\st{%s}" nil)
 ("=" "\\verb" t)
 ("~" "\\verb" t))

Shouldn't `("@" "\\alert{%s}" nil)' be added by default?

>> - How to get "frame breaks", without modifying the resulting TeX file (by
>>  adding a frame option `allowframebreaks' -- similar to the `fragile'
>>  option)?
>
> Just put [allowframebreaks] into the :BEAMER_envargs: property of
> the node that becomes the frame.

That does work. Thanks.

However, couldn't we have that on by default on all nodes? For sure, some
people won't remark some text is cut off in the output beamer presentation,
when the option is not set.

By the way, how are we supposed to add that property in the most easiest
manner?  I never really used column view, but I have troubles when using it
here.

On the node where I want to add that property, I do:
- `C-c C-x C-c' to enter column view
- `right' (arrow) to go in the second column
- `e' to edit the property
... but I'm put in a tag selection menu... What am I doing wrong?

>> - How to get the TOC repeated when changing of section, with the new item
>>  highlighted?  See my manual essay ;-)
>
> I don't know!  Isn't this something that can be done with beamer themes?
> I have no idea.

Maybe others have feedback on this. I'm not yet expert either in beamer...

>> The last question has maybe few to do with Org. I mean: maybe, we can't have
>> that feature implemented in Org. Dunno.
>
> Beamer support is hacking Org quite a bit, installing hooks left
> and right, so I think it can be done.  But I would need o know what exactly is
> needed/wanted....

Sure. Thanks -- once again -- for all excellent results achieved so far.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban