Re: [Orgmode] org-html link building diff

From: Tom Breton (Tehom)
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] org-html link building diff
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 15:45:07 -0400

> I am sure it does - the export function has grown like cancer in the
> run of years.
> Unfortunately, I right now do not have the time to study this
> carefully enough
> to make sure this does not break anything.

> Tom, maybe you can update the patch to the current master.

Actually, I don't seem to be able to push to the repository.
Unfortch, my machine isn't that great for hosting a public repository,
as the instructions suggest.  Is there something I need to do?

Or did you mean, base it on the current version of org?  I thought I
had because I had just pulled it.

> Are there any volunteers who can put this patch through the mill?  Or
> Tom, maybe
> you first want to implement the other stuff you are thinking about?

That's half-done already;

 * Mostly, I made the other branches of `cond' use
   `org-html-make-link' too.  That's done.

 * I'd like to cleanup the test whether to inline images.  My first
   patch had copied it more or less unchanged from what it was.

   Now the bulk of the test is encapsulated in
   `org-html-should-inline-p', but I've yet to make the code use it.

 * And I'd like to make the two sources of name conversion respect
   each other.

   * There are now two sources of name conversion:

     * The existing code to convert org files which operates if
       `org-export-html-link-org-files-as-html' is non-nil.

       * This changes url type as well as url path

     * org-html-cvt-link-fn, which supports converting via a lookup
       table or similar.  I need that for org2blog, which posts to a
       Blogger-style blog directly from org.

       * Presently this does not treat url type.

     * (For completeness) And it can not convert the name at all.

   * So `org-html-cvt-link-fn' signature may change in the near
     future, and I'll probably encapsulate the other conversion, and
     then the logic will just be choose one by precedence.

A couple of notes:

 * I am taking "to make sure this does not break anything" to heart
   and I will write some semblance of a test suite for org-html.  I'll
   post that soon.

   Everybody, please feel free to contribute any tests of the proper
   current behavior to it.

 * Potential snippage:

   * There is a FIXME comment in `org-export-as-html' that's been there
     for a long time.  I suspect it's been fixed, because I haven't
     encountered a problem about not escaping something.

     * "FIXME: do we need to unescape here somewhere?"

   * I don't believe the code just before the `cond' still adds
     anything useful.  It seems redundant to other code.  But I'd like
     to hear from others before I dare snip it out.

     That is, the code that begins ";; Make an image out of the
     description if that is so wanted"

        Tom Breton (Tehom)