Re: [Orgmode] `org-refile' doc string

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] `org-refile' doc string
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 14:56:44 -0400

Štěpán Němec <address@hidden> wrote:

> In the documentation of `org-refile' we read:
>
>   If there is an active region, all entries in that region will be moved.
>   However, the region must fulfil the requirement that the first heading
>   is the first one sets the top-level of the moved text - at most siblings
>   below it are allowed.
>

> I completely fail at parsing the second sentence. Could please someone
> who knows what it's trying to say fix it?

What's the problem? It's crystal clear! :-)

But seriously, I think what's it's trying to say is that you can't just
select an arbitrary region of the org file and refile it: it has to
satisfy some constraints. For example, if you start at a level 2 headline,
the region cannot then include a level 1 headline further down; it can only
include level 2 and lower headlines.

The error message from the function when you try something illegal is
much clearer than the long explanation above:

  "The region is not a (sequence of) subtree(s)"

Maybe the doc string should say:

  ... However, the region must satisfy some constraints: it has to be
  a subtree (or a sequence of subtrees).

Would that be clear enough?

Nick