[Orgmode] Re: shell: link output

From: Uday S Reddy
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: shell: link output
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 00:45:26 +0100

On 5/3/2010 12:14 AM, Dan Davison wrote:

It displays the output in the minibuffer, right? I'm not sure there's a
very easy solution. Documented behaviour of `shell-command' is that

,----
| The output appears in the buffer `*Shell Command Output*'.  If the
| output is short enough to display in the echo area (which is determined
| by the variables `resize-mini-windows' and `max-mini-window-height'), it
| is shown there, but it is nonetheless available in buffer `*Shell
| Command Output*' even though that buffer is not automatically displayed.
`----

so it seems rather hard-wired to me (i.e. you'd have to write your own
function or use defadvice).

I think `shell-command' displays the *Shell Command Output* buffer only when it
is called interactively.  When it is called programatically, I think they
expect the calling program to display the *Shell Command Output* buffer
separately.  Org mode is not doing so.

Cheers,
Uday