Re: [Orgmode] Re: Poll: Who is using these commands

From: Stephan Schmitt
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Poll: Who is using these commands
Date: Sun, 09 May 2010 16:42:40 +0200

On 05/09/2010 04:26 PM, Also sprach Leo:
On 2010-05-09 12:43 +0100, Carsten Dominik wrote:
what do you think about C-M-f, C-M-b, C-M-n, C-M-p as alternative
bindings? These seem to make *a lot* of sense, because, as many here
have pointed out, they are so much better repeatable (Keep C-M- down,
press the character.)

It is terrible idea to override these parenthesis movement bindings.
They are universal in all editing modes that if overridden people who
also use other emacs packages will be surprised. For example to move
from a open parenthesis to a closing parenthesis.

On the other hand, I often press the C-M-[fbnp] combinations in org
mode with the expectation to navigate through the logical structure
like I'm used from lisp mode.  Then I'm surprised to find the point
somewhere in a hidden subtree with the cursor at the ellipsis which
represent it.

In other words, in a more abstract view as structure navigating keys
the proposed binding is more intuive then the parenthesis oriented
motion.  But perhaps this holds only for lisp hackers...

Greetings,
        Stephan

However, it makes sense to bind C-M-a and C-M-e to move the the
beginning/end of a subtree.

I don't use these org movement bindings much because isearch does the
job perfectly and it can be used everywhere.

Leo