Re: [Orgmode] Re: Org-FAQ request for full-text dump

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Org-FAQ request for full-text dump
Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 08:54:36 +0200

On May 13, 2010, at 6:13 AM, Dan Davison wrote:

Benjamin Andresen <address@hidden> writes:

Hello guys,

quite often people ask question in the IRC-channel (#org-mode on
freenode) which are answered in the FAQ. Now I personally find the
org-faq very cumbersome to use, due to its javascript-interface that
grabs keys.

+1

The info.js HTML export is an excellent invention, but I don't think
it's right for the FAQ, at least not with the current setup. Personally I sometimes skim FAQs to get a sense of a project, and I think visitors should be able to scroll down / search in a familiar fashion to get more
information. I think obliging random web visitors to use Info style
navigation by default is a bad idea. To be honest I've never read
anything in the FAQ because I can't easily skim it, and if I have a
specific question I look in the manual.

In addition to a flat format, a possible better way to use info.js for
the FAQ would be in a "startup contents" mode, whereby all headings and
questions are visible, but question answers are not.

You can make your bookmark look like this:

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.php?VIEW=content

- Carsten

Dan

(Just a short thing: I'm faster with my native browser search
functionality than with the interface that is used on org-faq.php

In my browser it's: /color n n n N n

vs.

s color s RET s RET s RET and I don't even know how to jump back to a
previous search results (also sometimes the first search doesn't even
work, I have to do it twice, haven't investigated this further.))

Because of this I currently use the org-faq.org file locally and
then grab the CUSTOM_ID and attach it to the org-faq.php link as an
anchor.

So my question is basically: Could we get a plain dump of the file?

(I don't know who controls the export and I guess just copying the file and stripping out all the infoJS stuff is not the right way to do it.)

br,
benny

Please don't take offense, I'm sure many other people like the infoJS
interface, I just find it inefficient and mainly different from the way
I search the web.