Re: [Orgmode] Re: A request: Moving away from ChangeLog

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: A request: Moving away from ChangeLog
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 11:06:36 -0400

On May 21, 2010, at 9:47 AM, Tassilo Horn wrote:

> I think it would be better if line 3+ would be exact ChangeLog entries
> format-wise, so that you can still use emacs' ChangeLog facilities
> (`add-change-log-entry').  I don't really want to write the changed file
> and function names on my own, and adding them correctly is exactly what
> that function does very well.

This ends up looking rather ugly in the history, and I would hate to see VCS
history bent merely to conform to tools usage.

Rather, the history should be as clean and exact as possible.  If elisp
functions need to be written to convert ChangeLog entries to a suitable format,
I can do that.

Also, in magit if you press 'C' on any diff hunk, it auto-generates a properly
formatted ChangeLog-style comment into the current commit log.

John