[Orgmode] Does Org-mode need to be position aware?

From: Torsten Wagner
Subject: [Orgmode] Does Org-mode need to be position aware?
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 09:38:21 +0900

Dear All,

I recently bought a Android-based phone and was pleased to see the
mobileorg version for Android. As you all may know people tend away from
static computer places and we have mobileorg and some of us even run
emacs and org-mode natively on smartphones and other gadgets. More and
more of this devices come with a build-in GPS or at least they get can
get the current location by tracking the mobile phone towers.

Playing around with Android for a few days, I saw many applications
which make use of the fact that the location is known to them. E.g. they
show restaurants, shops, or doctors praxis close to you.

I start wondering whether org-mode should get aware of my location and
whether people might be interested to add a location tag to org-mode tasks.

In a similar way as we add status, priorities, dates, tags, etc. It
might be interesting to add a location. A special agenda search could
list only those entries associated with my current location (or within a
given circle).

Since GPS coordinates are somehow ugly and human unreadable, I thought
it should be possible to mask them similar to links. E.g., like
[[gps://35.71083783530009,139.8175048828125][Somewhere in Japan +3km]].

Obviously, the first part has to be generated by read out the GPS
location, the second part is a human readable description and a given
radius. Closing this "link" would end up in "Somewhere in Japan +3km".

A "C-a l" could compile an agenda list only showing those entries which
intersect with my current location.

Obviously, it requires to read in GPS data, which might be tricky to do
for all those different devices. Furthermore, it might need emacs-lisp
code as well as some external program to read-out the position of the
GPS module. But I guess the emacs-lisp gurus here might know this much
better then I do. Another issue comes to my mind for mobileorg users. As
far as I know, mobileorg only fetches agenda views from a server but
does not generate them. However, this would be necessary to create this
kind of location aware agendas.

Would be nice to hear other opinions. Makes this sens? Should it be part
of mobileorg, or rather a independent package?
Maybe something for me to get used to emacs-lisp ?! ;)

Bye

Torsten