Re: [Orgmode] Re: skip entry with inherited tags

From: Martin Pohlack
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: skip entry with inherited tags
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 22:34:44 +0200

Hi Carsten and Matt,

On 13.07.2010 20:48, Carsten Dominik wrote:
> On Jul 13, 2010, at 7:41 PM, Martin Pohlack wrote:
>> Hard to respond to this vague situation :-).
>>
>> It would be great if you could point me at more specific situations
>> that
>> might break or if others could test the patch.  I have been using it
>> for
>> more than a month now without problems.
>
> The specific one I meant is if you use r or g to rebuild the agenda,
> if you do something like a refile command which does an automatic
> rebuild,
> do you get back the view you expected?

Yes, I regularly use 'r'.  It works for me.  Refiling a single entry did
not show a problem.

> Also, if you apply other filter commands, either with "/", or narrowing
> the filter with "/", does that give the expected results while you are
> in your block agenda?

I quickly applied a tag filter using '/' 'tab'.  Only the relevant
entries were shown.  Some block agendas become empty as expected.
Clearing the filter restores the expected full view.

I am not entirely sure that the patch does not have problems though.

Matt: could you give the patch a quick test at your end?

>>> I will only be able to study this more closely after the release.
>>
>> Take your time, I will wait for more details to emerge or feedback
>> from
>> other testers.
>>
>> One more note here: The current situation for block agendas is a bit
>> problematic as their limitations are not documented afaik.
>>
>> Writing custom agendas is not easy in itself.  If things don't work,
>> it
>> is really hard to distinguish between driver errors and limitations of
>> the block agendas.
>
> Do you have suggestions on how to improve the situation?

* Well, the best thing to do would be to remove the limitations of the
  block agendas, obviously :-), which I hope this patch does.

* The second best thing is to document them.

I am aware of this tag filter limitation, but no others from the top of
my head.  Do others know more?

Cheers,
Martin