Re: [Orgmode] text color + highlight

From: Jan Böcker
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] text color + highlight
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 08:03:32 +0200

On 08/11/2010 01:14 AM, Samuel Wales wrote:
> i suggest begin-end pairs, not putting text in the syntax itself.
> though you could, if you want, using quotes.
>
>   $[class begin :title animals]Some text about animals$[class end
> :title animals]

Why not allow both? If I want to highlight one or two words, maybe I
could use:

$[class :title animals "African swallow"]

Compare this to:
$[class begin :title animals]African swallow$[class end :title animals]

For a few sentences and to get support for nested formatting, I would
definitely want begin-end pairs, too, but if you want to highlight a few
words, being able to put text into the syntax itself makes things a lot
shorter.

As far as I understand it, once a framework for this extensible syntax
is in place, it would not be too hard to support both variants.

BTW, I really like the idea of having extensible syntax in general; this
could also make inline todos a lot less painful. I do not know enough
about elisp and Org to help with the implementation, but if someone
wants to implement this and needs help with testing, I'd be glad to
help. (I wrote my last exam today, so I will have a lot more time to
spare until October.)

Jan