[Orgmode] Re: Writing a custom export.

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Writing a custom export.
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 12:24:38 -0700

On Fri, Aug 13 2010, Puneeth wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>
> On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 11:39 PM, Alex <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I've been using emacs + org-mode for ~6 months and haven't done any elisp
>> hacking beyond a custom .emacs file. I would like to write a custom org-mode
>> export to markdown to play around with elisp and so that I can write readmes
>> for my github projects in org-mode. Are there any good tutorials on writing
>> a custom export?
>
> A couple of things,
> 1. Github understands org files. README can be written in org mode also.
> 2. You should look at org-export-generic
> [http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/org-export-generic.php] in case
> you wish to continue with writing your custom export to markdown.

Hey, this is great! I didn't know this existed. But to be useful for
Markdown (which I'd also like very much), it would need options for
formatting emph and strong regexs (currently '/' and '*' in org-mode,
would need to be '*' and '**' for Markdown) and also links.

I'm not sure what :body-tags-{prefix,suffix} actually do, but that
sounds promising. Link formatting would need to be added, but it seems
like adding a :body-link-address and :body-link-description would pretty
much take care of it.

If this isn't currently doable without patching org-export-generic.el, I
can take a stab at providing such a patch (unless Alex was hankering for
a weekend project :)).

Eric