Re: [Orgmode] Org-mode screencasts

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Org-mode screencasts
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 11:31:08 -0500

Maybe some help can be found here re. software?

- Big list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screencasting_software
- A bit dated, but pretty cool overview of some Linux methods: http://www.linuxhaxor.net/?p=815
- Krut looks simple enough and has some neat features: http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/Blogs/Productivity-Sauce-Dmitri-s-open-source-blend-of-productive-computing/Krut-screencasts-made-easy
- This is recent and looks simple: http://verb3k.wordpress.com/2010/01/26/how-to-do-proper-screencasts-on-linux/

I've never done this and so cannot really recommend anything in particular from the wiki list... I did just try the last method (ffmpeg) and it worked great. I don't have pulse audio at the moment, but tailoring their command to this worked for me:

---
ffmpeg -f alsa -ac 2 -f x11grab -r 30 -s 1024x768 -i :0.0 -acodec pcm_s16le -vcodec libx264 -vpre lossless_ultrafast -threads 0 output.mkv
---

Hope that helps even slightly... I didn't want to fiddle with the actual "applications" right now, but I'm thinking that the ones with a spotlight for the cursor and ability to zoom in could prove to be quite the nice touch.

Perhaps we should put together "screencast wish list" somewhere? Then perhaps individuals could sign up to work on them?

I think LaTeX integration would be a huge sell. I know a guy at work who uses LaTeX for reports but has never heard of Org-mode. I, on the other hand, only know about LaTeX because I found out about Org-mode. The more I've learned how to use LaTeX, the more when he talks about things I can't believe he's typing out all those lines for his reports! Showing how Org-mode can take what you already know and make it that much easier and faster to get work done would be neat, IMO.

John