Re: [Orgmode] Re: [BUG] define "just", preamble and postamble placement

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: [BUG] define "just", preamble and postamble placement
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2010 03:46:59 -0400

Łukasz Stelmach <address@hidden> wrote:

> |-----------+-----|
> | Preamble        |
> |-----------+-----|
> |           |     |
> | Content   | TOC |
> |           |     |
> |-----------+-----|
> | Postamble       |
> |-----------+-----|
>
> I'd like to have a layout like the above one, with (pre|post)ambles of
> full width (or at least as wide a the content + TOC). With the present
> layout preamble and postamble are siblings to TOC and the text and I
> can't get the desired layout.

I guess it depends on what you start with and how much you are willing
to do by hand (or by extra programming).  Are you trying to get this
layout by html-exporting an org file without any massaging of the
resulting HTML/CSS?  If so, I don't know how to do it - I don't know if
it's even possible with just the stock org-mode html export mechanism:
org has certain conventions about the HMTL it produces and although it
is possible to bend them (e.g. Sebastian Rose's org-info.js magic
transformation of standard HTML into info-like docs or folded outlines -
who'd have thunk it?), afaik it requires some surgery (e.g. in addition
to Sebaastian's JS script, one needs some machinery on the org-mode
side: org-jsinfo.el, that is very much tailored to Sebastian's script
and a line in the org file to get the whole thing moving).

If you are willing to write some CSS, I think it's quite possible to get
the layout you want (but you may need to add e.g. ids to various
elements in the HTML - I haven't looked at the HTML that org produces in
any detail to see what it puts in and what it leaves out).  In
particular, I don't think that the parent/sibling structure of the DOM
tree limits you in any way as far as the layout goes: the <div
id="content"> just gives you a different containing block element; if it
wasn't there, the <body> element would be the containing block element -
but does that really make much difference? And if the preamble/postamble
were outside the div, the tree structure would be different but so what?
Minor adjustments in the CSS would take care of it, I should think.

But as I said, I'm no expert and I may very well be mistaken.

Nick