[Orgmode] Re: markup for small caps ?

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: markup for small caps ?
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 09:08:48 -1000

On Oct 31, 2010, at 7:43 AM, Dan Davison wrote:

"Thomas S. Dye" <address@hidden> writes:

Aloha Sebastien,

Arbitrary markup is possible, see
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-latex-export.php#sec-12

Using this approach [[latex:textsc][My small caps]] would export to
LaTeX as \textsc{My small caps}.

In the Org-buffer I see "My small caps" with a special underlined
face. This is standard for links with a non-missing display part, but in
the case of non-standard link types such as this I'm not sure it's
helpful. I think I'd like to see in my Org buffer what markup is being
applied.[1]

(Related question -- is there a command I can enter with point on a link which displays the raw text of the link? (temporarily remove overlays at
point?))

Thanks,

Dan

Footnotes:
[1]  Maybe add an optional display argument to org-add-link-type
which would be a function used by the org-activate-*-link function??

Hi Dan,

I agree that it would be good to generalize the Org-mode link syntax so that it doesn't assume a link representation in the Org-mode buffer and in HTML export. If a link representation was one possibility among others, then this syntax would be that much more useful.

As for showing small caps, say, in the Org-mode buffer, I agree that this would be nice in this instance. Note, however, that this is an instance of direct style markup and not semantic markup.

In the more general case, the syntax applies semantic markup that is recognized by a LaTeX class file, a CSS stylesheet, etc., which is responsible for seeing that the marked up content looks right. IIUC, your suggestion of an optional display argument would be the Org-mode equivalent of the class file/stylesheet. It would be really great if this argument accepted a function that relied on an Org-mode stylesheet that the user could customize to support arbitrary semantic elements. Perhaps this is already possible, but I haven't figured it out yet.

I don't know the answer to your related question. I just use literal links for a while when I need them, then set them back to descriptive links when I'm done. I agree that being able to do this on a link by link basis would be useful.

All the best,
Tom

HTH,
Tom