[Orgmode] Re: [Babel] Marker does not point anywhere (when session buffe

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: [Babel] Marker does not point anywhere (when session buffer needs to be created)
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2010 16:51:58 +0100

HI Eric,

"Eric Schulte" wrote:
> Sébastien Vauban <address@hidden> writes:
>> * Marker does not point anywhere
>>
>> Executing the following:
>>
>> #+begin_src sh :session NoSuchSessionYet
>> cd ~
>> ls *.txt
>> #+end_src
>>
>> outputs this in *Messages*:
>>
>> : executing Sh code block...
>> : think it is Cygwin...
>> : ~
>> : ansi-color-process-output: Marker does not point anywhere
>>
>> when executed for the *first* time.
>
> This "mark doesn't point anywhere" error is common across a bunch of
> sessions (ruby and python as well as shell). It's simply a matter of Babel
> trying to use the session before it is ready. I haven't found these errors
> to be an issue as all subsequent use of the session works as expected.

OK.

> I suppose that we should try to be more careful on session creation
> explicitly waiting until the buffer is ready, however this would add some
> degree of complication to the code...

Just a stupid idea: adding a sleep for 5 seconds or so, the first time the
session is created?  I wouldn't mind having to wait a bit on the first session
invocation, if I'm sure everything works better that way.

>> All subsequent executions don't exhibit this error (currently, they hang,
>> but that's another story).

The new posting of today refers to this issue.

>> My prompt is colored -- I need it, really!  *None* of the =ls= results are
>> colored, though (in this above case: =ls ~/*.txt=).
>>
>> Can we fix this somehow?

For now, I've given up using a colored shell, just to be sure I try to get sh
sessions working before adding complexity into the game.

So, now, my prompt is without any ANSI color spec, and completely mono-lined
(no extra \n), as you can see in the other post. Don't look at this for now --
except if you find it great to use! ;-)

Best regards,
  Seb

--