Re: [Orgmode] An Org-mode clone for Vim

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] An Org-mode clone for Vim
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 16:50:55 -0500

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 2:39 PM, Herbert Sitz <address@hidden> wrote:
I've been working on a Vim plugin that is file-compatible with Org-mode and that
clones a good subset of features...

I've made a video showing what it looks like and demonstrating some of the basic
outlining stuff.  I just uploaded it to Vimeo, and it tells me it will be
available for viewing in a couple hours (i.e., around 3:15pm PST today, Friday
Nov. 5,2010).  When available it will be viewable at this link:
http://vimeo.com/16543959

Wow! This is pretty neat. You've done some really cool things.

For someone who asks, 'Why would you bother to do this for Vim when it's already
done in Emacs?", I would have these responses:

1.  A lot of people don't like Emacs.  It is of course an insanely powerful
piece of software, but a lot of people can never get accustomed to the chord-key
command system, or if they do get semi-accustomed they don't like it or it
causes them physical pain.

I started learning emacs only for org-mode and have never really used vim except for editing a few config files when nano is not available. Since I started with emacs and it has what I want (org-mode), I can't think of a reason to learn yet another program with it's own set of shortcut oddities :) I can relate to the shortcuts... Sometimes two in a row involving ctrl makes me scratch my head. Though with emacs I'm pretty sure you can literally change anything you want.

Also, since you're using the export features of org-mode, and as you said you can use vimperator or whatever to emulate vim keystrokes in emacs... is there anything really that you can do with the vim version that emacs can't do? I completely understand #5 below -- do it just to do it and it's fun. Other than that, though, aside from some navigation differences and the (#_of_lines) at the end of folded headers I was unsure what was to be different. Now you work in vim and just call org-mode to export?

2.  Some people are of the opinion that, while Emacs is admittedly a great
operating system/development environment, it lacks a decent text editor.  ;)

I've heard this but never understood what was being said.

That's about it.  If there's any interest I'll do more videos showing how other
Org-mode features have been implemented in the Vim plugin, and where they stand
right now in the Vim plugin compared to Org-mode.

After watching the video, my favorites that might be cool to see in org-mode were:
- (#_of_lines) instead of ... at the end of headings. Very, very cool. I like that. I also like that they were right flushed instead of right after the word. Kind of makes it quite easy to see where there is hidden information. This has come up before as a potential liability. There are workarounds, but I particularly liked yours!

- Navigation. I definitely feel the emacs shortcut pain for certain things. I don't mind exporting. I'm so used to it that I do C-x C-s C-c C-e p without blinking to publish to PDF. But, I highly dislike things like C-c C-[n/p] or C-c C-[f/b] for navigating headlines. Your arrow navigation was appealing, perhaps only because I'm not as used to these shortcuts as others. I find myself using two finger scroll, pg[up/dn] and crtl+[right/left arrow] to move around much more than the emacs built-in shortcuts. As I said earlier, though, surely they can be changed...  I just haven't.

Great work and very cool project. Thanks for sharing and I really enjoyed the video!

John

Regards,

Herb Sitz
Seattle, WA