Re: [Orgmode] Lists handling

From: Karl Maihofer
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Lists handling
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 12:47:21 +0100

Hi Nicolas!

Thanks for your answer!

Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> schrieb:
Wouldn't drawers be more appropriate here than inline tasks? Not that
it would work with a drawer either, but the examples given seem to
focus more on content than on a task title.

In fact I have both, text comments and tasks that interrupt my lists. So I think for me it is a more natural solution to use inline tasks. I write my notes between the start- and end-line of an inline task. And sometimes I then realize that there is something to take care of. So the inline task gets a TODO-state. Without inline tasks withhin the list I would have to add an extra inline task above or below the list. But some of my lists are several pages long, so this would not be the Org-way to define tasks (right there where the work had to be done).

Of course this is a special case. My lists do not contain my thoughts, but a given structure. I have to comment this structure. And it should be possible to differenciate between the lists and the comments in the HTML export. All this worked quite well with inline tasks.

I don't understand what the indentation problem you're talking about
is, [...]

You are right, identation was the wrong word. I meant promoting and demoting the current subtree with M-S-left or right arrow key. In the example below if the cursor is on Item 1 and I hit M-S-right arrow key Item 1a is demoted, but not Item 1b because of the inline task in between.

,----
| - Item 1
|   - Item 1a
| *************** Inline Task
| Here is text.
| *************** END
|   - Item 1b
| - Item 2
| - Item 3
`----

This is a big issue for me because I will have to edit the structure of the lists regularly. Until now this is not possible once I have added my comments. And it would be much effort to cut the comments, edit the structure and paste the comments again. So if promoting and demoting would work in this structure it would be a big help in my case.

[...] but I worked on indentation wrt inline tasks recently. My work is
at: git://github.com/ngz/org-mode-lists.git inlinetask
It might solve some of your problems.

I just checked out a copy and I'll have a look. Thanks for that. Did you work on the demote/promote problem, too?

I'm writing down ideas to put in a future update of lists. Some
previously "unsupported anymore" stuff may appear again, after a phase
of testing on a parallel git branch.

In this context, you raise an interesting question about inline tasks.
I have my idea (read below), but a discussion about it might be
productive.
It looks to me the syntax is way too subtle to be clear. Moreover,
lists are all about indentation, and inline tasks defeat that as they
live at column 0. They also visually break any structure around.

Perhaps syntax highlighting of inline tasks is an idea to solve the visusl problem. If the inline task gets a background color one can differentiate easier between the list and the task.

To be honest, I'm not very enthusiastic about allowing inline tasks
within lists. On the other hand, I will definitely let drawers in,
thus my first question.

As pointed out above in my special case inline tasks would be a great thing to have in lists. But I understand your reservation. It would be an impurity withhin a list.

With a drawer, you mean something like the following?

,----
| - Item 1
|   - Item 1a
|     :COMMENT:
|     This is a comment.
|     :END:
|   - Item 1b
| - Item 2
| - Item 3
`----

In my special case this would be second choice. But I think I could live without tasks but with comments withhin lists when I change my workflow a bit.

In HTML export it would then be important to be able to format the comment with CSS. Right now my inline tasks get a nice border and a colored background so that the comments can be recognized withhin the lists. Would this be possible for drawers, too?

Regards,
Karl