[Orgmode] Re: [Babel] No output returned if just one command is failing

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: [Babel] No output returned if just one command is failing
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2010 21:34:27 +0100

Hi Eric,

"Eric Schulte" wrote:
> You both make good points in favor of this behavior, and I had no idea
> this would be as easy as Dan's patch below, I was thinking that some
> sort of intermediate results return would be required.
>
> I would be open to either of Dan's suggested changes
> 1. return partial results for ":results output"
> 2. return partial results controlled by some new header argument
>
> I am worried by the prospect of partial results being used by another
> code block in chained code block execution.  Perhaps some special care
> should be taken to ensure that this will not happen, or perhaps this
> should happen only in case two above where the user has explicitly
> specified that partial results are OK.

As I just expressed it, I would vote for "show the results as they are", and
"as they would be in a terminal". No special header needed, in my current view
of the Babel world.

In fact, I find the words "partial results" to be rather negative. They just
are the results a terminal would display: they're *all the available results*
that the block can generate in its execution context.

Best regards,
  Seb

PS- I wanna repeat I may be proven wrong. Maybe I don't think (yet?) at all
    impacts such a decision may have!

--
Sébastien Vauban