Re: [Orgmode] Older versions

From: David Dyer-Bennet
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Older versions
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 16:17:31 -0600

On Fri, December 3, 2010 13:48, Puneeth wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 1:07 AM, David Dyer-Bennet <address@hidden> wrote:
>> The only org-mode distributions I can find on the website say they don't
>> work with the versions of emacs I have available.
>>
>> Our latest servers are running with CentOS 5.5 (same as Redhat
>> Enterprise
>> 5.5), which has emacs 21.4.1. Â Many of our older servers are running
>> CentOS 4.7 or so.
>>
>> How badly does org-mode 7.3 not work with emacs 21.4? Â And/or where can
>> find older versions, with info on which emacs they work with?
>
> I'm not sure where you can find this, but as this page [1] says,
> support for emacs has been dropped from Orgmode 7.x only. Use 6.36c
> instead. A link to it, is provided in that page.
>
> [1] -- http://orgmode.org/Changes.html#sec-2_1_1

Given the two URLs, I have now deduced the pattern for downloading
older distributions :-) .  I still can't see a list of what's
available, but the ones mentioned publicly that I've tried have all
existed.  (It's just the obvious:
http://orgmode.org/org-<version>.tar.gz )

Thanks for finding the confirmation that 6.36c is supposed to work
with Emacs 21.

Unfortunately it doesn't.  I've gotten failures on two missing files
so far, sha1.el and hex-utils.el.  I brought those over from a 23
distribution, they don't seem to have anything that won't work in 21.

So now I'm getting:

emacs -batch -q -no-site-file -eval "(setq load-path (cons
(expand-file-name \"./lisp/\\
") (cons \"/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp\" load-path)))" -f
batch-byte-compile lisp/\
org-freemind.el
(source)...
While compiling toplevel forms in file
/nfshome/ddb/org-6.36c/lisp/org-freemind.el:
  !! error (("Invalid escape character syntax"))
Done
make: *** [lisp/org-freemind.elc] Error 1

Examining org-freemind.el doesn't show me anything obvious.  Trying to
byte-compile within emacs gives me a completely unrelated error:

Compiling file /nfshome/ddb/org-6.36c/lisp/org-freemind.el at Fri Dec  3
16:11:57 2010
  !! File error (("Cannot open load file" "org"))

(This seems to be load-path related, and I think just changing my load-path
will fix this, and then MAYBE I'll see what the error in
org-freemind.el is perhaps, I dunno.)

Anyway, no, 6.36c certainly doesn't work with emacs 21.4.1 as
installed by Centos 5.5 (emacs-21.4-20.el5, to be precise).
--
David Dyer-Bennet, address@hidden; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info