Re: [Orgmode] Bug: Bad doc [7.4]

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Bug: Bad doc [7.4]
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 08:40:50 +0100

On Dec 20, 2010, at 7:12 AM, Dave Abrahams wrote:

Remember to cover the basics, that is, what you expected to happen and
what in fact did happen. You don't know how to make a good report? See

    http://orgmode.org/manual/Feedback.html#Feedback

Your bug report will be posted to the Org-mode mailing list.

Th' manual sez:

 9.1.3 Capture templates
 -----------------------

 You can use templates for different types of capture items, and for
different target locations. The easiest way to create such templates is
 through the customize interface.

 `C-c c C'
      Customize the variable `org-capture-templates'.

I don't know where that keybinding is supposed to come from, but as
far as I can tell, it isn't set anywhere.  In fact, if we take the
manual's suggested `C-c c' binding for org-capture, the `C' above just
does a self-insert in the capture buffer.

This is a bit tricky and not fully documented.

If you have no or only only a single template defined, then
template selection is bypassed and you do not get a chance
to press C to get to the customization buffer.  This is to
please John Wiegley :) who only uses a single capture template
and rightfully wanted to lose the extra key press.  As soon
as you have at least 2 templates, you will get the menu and
also the chance to press `C'.

I am not quite sure what to do about it, documenting it makes
things look more complicated as they are.

- Carsten

Emacs : GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin, NS apple- appkit-1038.29)
of 2010-05-08 on black.local
Package: Org-mode version 7.4

--
Dave Abrahams