Re: [Orgmode] Re: Minor bug: org-agenda-holidays

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Minor bug: org-agenda-holidays
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 14:54:41 -0500

Tassilo Horn <address@hidden> wrote:

> Nick Dokos <address@hidden> writes:
>
> Hi Nick,
>
> > I don't think the patch is necessary: as Tassilo points out,
> > list-calendar-holidays should exist in emacs versions before 23.1, it
> > is obsoleted in 23.1 and replaced by calendar-list-holidays, but
> > remains as an alias in versions 23.1 and after. I can confirm that in
> > both GNU Emacs 23.2.50.1 and GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1, the alias exists and
> > in both cases
> >
> >     (commandp 'list-calendar-holidays)
> >
> > returns t.
>
> I've just fired up emacs 23.1 on some other machine, and there is really
> only `calendar-list-holidays'.
>
> Hm, no, not true.  But `calendar-list-holidays' is directly visible to
> C-h f cause it's autoloaded whereas `list-calendar-holidays' is only
> there after (require 'holidays).  With newer emacsen, both are visible
> directly, probably because `define-obsolete-function-alias'.

Ah, thanks, that clears up things. I did some more spelunking on
emacs-22.3: only list-calendar-holidays exists there, so they seem to
have rationalized the name in 23.1 but didn't quite get the
compatibility right until 23.2 (or a later 23.1 at least, one after
Paul's version).

So, for Paul, the fix seems to be to

    (require 'holidays)

in his .emacs somewhere, possibly before loading org-mode.

For org-mode, probably the best thing to do is to change
list-calendar-holidays to calendar-list-holidays as soon as support for
emacs-22.3 is dropped (except that there is still older - and current -
xemacsen to check of course). The joys of backward compatibility...

Nick