[Orgmode] Re: Org-mode development workflow with Git

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Org-mode development workflow with Git
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 18:45:57 +0100

Jason Dunsmore <address@hidden> writes:
> I'd be interested to hear about other workflows or how mine might be
> improved.

I'd say whatever works for you works. :-)

I've set up all but one of my various git clones up to rebase by default
instead of merging when doing a pull.  That way I can float my local
changes to the top of the tracking branch(es) whenever I pull them up to
the latest version and never lose sight of them.  So far it's been
working well with pure git commands (ocassionally I will have to reset a
branch and/or cherry-pick something into order, but gitk ensures that I
don't goof on this too badly).

When you have more of these, something like topgit or stgit may provide
an easier UI and cut down on manual interventions.  I've tried stgit
with the org repository and decided not to use it in the end; also it
needs python which becomes problematic in some installations.  As far as
I can tell topgit works well, but it is geared towards a somewhat
different workflow than I've adopted.  If you happen to follow that flow
it might be just the tool for you.

Achim.