Re: [Orgmode] Status google calendar sync

From: Mark Elston
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Status google calendar sync
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 11:38:17 -0800

On 1/29/2011 6:53 AM, Torsten Wagner wrote:
 > Slightly OT perhaps, but I am contemplating getting an Android phone and
 > figuring out how NOT to have my calendar on google, and would like to
 > sync it with org.  (Right now I've made a 0.1-hearted attempt to export
 > org to ical and put it in mac calendar.)  Are there ways to not sync
 > with google on the android and sync with org?  I don't mind running my
 > own calendar server.

As fare as I know Google does not allow native usage of any other
calendar service. There are a few calendar apps which allow the use of
an non Google calendar. However, I would prefer something which
integrates neatly with Android. I'm not a big fan of the idea to feed
all my stuff to Google, neither but at the moment it seems to be the
best working option (not surprisingly for using a OS developed by Google).

I wasn't all that keen on it at first but I really got to like it when
I was able to update my calendar from my phone or my laptop or my
desktop at work and all three would see it.

When I found I could create multiple calendars and share *some* of them
I really started to enjoy the idea of a central server for my calendar
data.  I still don't put anything on there that would compromise my
privacy if it got exposed.

I checked for the API and googlecl. Lets say there is plenty space for
improvement on Googles side ;).

Yeah, the best documentation is about the JSON or XML syntax which can
leave you scratching your head as to how to do some things in client
code or googlecl (or even if you *can* do them).

Maybe, we should all focus to improve mobileorg.

I like the idea but won't want to give up the google calendar.  I would
prefer to see my schedule, appts, etc in one place (on my calendar) with
supporting data elsewhere.  This is what I would like to use something
like mobileorg for.  There are already plenty of good apps for taking
the google calendar and presenting it in useful ways.  What I would like
is to be able to navigate from an event in a calendar to whatever notes
I have in org related to it.  That is where I keep the details, notes,
private stuff that I keep off the calendar.  It keeps the calendar
clean and simple but I get all my notes as necessary.

Mark