[Orgmode] Re: Overlays and elisp code

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Overlays and elisp code
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 12:30:28 +0100

On Feb 1, 2011, at 12:22 PM, Dan Davison wrote:

Hi Dan,

maybe just header in the default value to keep the echo area open for
error messages?

Absolutely. But if you prefer, we could just do away with the echo- area
message entirely. That would have the advantage of leaving the user
interface unchanged.

With the default as '(header), my UI change only makes sense if we
believe that an appreciable number of users will disable the header
message and activate the echo-area message in its place.

There are people who hate the header line IIRC. But I guess you are right - once people are ready to remove the header line for this application, they will probably have memorized it.

I remember that I started with the echo area and introduced the header line because people were asking how to get out of there, so I needed something more persistent.

So I guess if the header line is the default, I'd be fine with removing the echo area message altogether.

- Carsten