Re: [Orgmode] Re: Fontification of blocks

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Fontification of blocks
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2011 08:02:19 -0700

Sébastien Vauban <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Eric(s), Dan & all,
>
> Sébastien Vauban wrote:
>> "Eric Schulte" wrote:
>>> I think that adding a new block delimiter face which inherits from the
>>> org-meta face as you've suggested is the way to go.
>>>
>>> I would recommend however that rather than removing/changing the
>>> org-meta-line, quote and verse delimiting faces to cover the entire line
>>> you simply add the org-block-begin/end-line face overtop of these existing
>>> faces. That way the default behavior is not changed by the patch, and users
>>> have more control over the final display.
>>>
>>> In fact rather than having the org-block-begin/end-line faces inherit
>>> from org-meta-line why not have them begin as empty faces.  Do you think
>>> this sounds like a good way to go?  If so would you mind submitting a
>>> patch which
>>> - doesn't remove existing faces but rather adds these new faces overtop
>>>   of them
>>> - includes of definition of the org-block-begin/end-line faces to empty
>>>   faces (otherwise the elisp compiler will warn of references to
>>>   undefined variables)
>>>
>>> Also, could you share an example code snippet which initializes the
>>> org-block-begin/end-line faces initialized (either here and/or on worg)?
>>
>> Here a proposition that goes in that direction -- not yet a real patch, but
>> something for you to have a look at. Should be easy to test, at least,
>> that's what I tried to achieve.
>
> Eric (Fraga), David (O'Toole) and Carsten, you should love the following...
> when in native fontification...
>
> #+TITLE:     Test file for future patch (for block fontification)
> #+DATE:      2011-02-02
> #+LANGUAGE:  en_US
>
> * Abstract
>
> This is the new code that I will supply as a patch. To test it, just
> evaluate the next source block, and please report any problem.
>
> What it does:
>
> - Add 2 faces for the lines delimiting the beginning and the end of
>   the source block
>
> - Fixes a tiny bug (affecting the begin delimiter line of source
>   blocks) when in "native" fontification (from Dan Davison)
>
> - NEW!! >>> Add a light yellow background in native mode!!! <<< NEW!!

Hi Seb,

Thanks for sharing this code.  I couldn't help myself but to turn it
into a patch as that has become my favorite way of reviewing new code.
The resulting patch it attached.

I noticed a couple of issues in the applied patch (possibly due to a
transcription error on my part).  Namely
- I believe your default faces only work for white backgrounds
- I didn't notice a change in background for the code blocks
- it seems that the #+end_src line is fontified but the #+begin_src line
  is not

An image of my Emacs after applying the patch is available at:
http://i.imgur.com/2eu3z.png

Thanks for sharing, I hope this feedback is helpful.

Best -- Eric