Re: [Orgmode] [BABEL] "unset" :var definitions for subtree

From: Rainer M Krug
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] [BABEL] "unset" :var definitions for subtree
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 09:33:22 +0100

On 02/10/2011 02:27 AM, Eric Schulte wrote:
> Rainer M Krug <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> For one project, I am usinr org to write submit scripte to a cluster
>> runing torqu. The important bit in this is, that between the shebang and
>> the code, no other executable line must occur. As I am using variables
>> in org (:var) they will occur just after the shebang, which causes a
>> problem for torque. So, my question is, is there a way to "unset"
>> variables defined by using :var for a subtree?
>>

> Hi Rainer,
>
> Interesting question... unfortunately I don't think that removing
> variables from header arguments is possible under the current setup.
>
> Perhaps in your case you could add a function to the post-tangle hook,
> which recognizes when it is being called in a just-tangled torqu script
> (maybe by searching for a series of #PBS lines), and then removes any
> lines between the shebang and the first #PBS line?

That is also an option - what I am using at the moment is to use
:no-expand as a code block specific header argument. But this raises the
other question:

Can I set the :no-expand in a properties block? As far as I understand,
in the properties block I have the argument and the value - but what do
I do with :noexpand?

:PROPERTIES:
:var: A=13
:no-expand
:END:

> More generally, I wonder what a natural method would be to allow
> unsetting of pre-set header arguments for local blocks or subtrees?
> This may only apply to the :var header argument, as most others have a
> default setting which can be actively set.  If you have any ideas for a
> natural syntax for such an operation I'd be happy to hear it.

First solution (probably the easiest to implement) would be along the
lines of the :no-expand header argument -

:expand-var yes
and
:expand-var no

This could possibly be expanded to
:expand-var A B C

which would expand only the variables A B and C

One step further: one could define groups of variables, like
:var-group X=A,B,C
or a similar syntax

and then
:expand-var X
would expand A B and C

This all would not be real unset - but a possibility for unsetting would be

:var B=

or

:var-unset B

i.e. if no value is specified in :var, the variable will be removed
(i.e. unset) - one could also use a null value (if it exists in elisp):

:var B=(null)

But this raises another question of mine:

I tried to use two :var headers in a properties block, but it only used
the first - did I miss something here?

Cheers,

Rainer

> Cheers -- Eric
>

>> #+BABEL: :session *R* :results output :exports both :tangle
>> Analysis_sensitivity.R :var RESULTSDIR="/media/Results/" :var
>> ANALYSISDIR="~/Documents/Projects/analysis/"
>>

>> * submit script (SA.sub)
>> :PROPERTIES:
>> :tangle:   ./SA.sub
>> :exports: code
>> :END:
>> #+begin_src sh
>>   #PBS -j y
>>   #PBS -M address@hidden
>>   #PBS -V
>>   #PBS -l nodes=1:mem=4gb
>>   ##
>>   cd $PBS_O_WORKDIR
>> #+end_src
>>
>> I would need the tangled code to be :
>>
>> #!/bin/bash
>> #PBS -j y
>> #PBS -M address@hidden
>> #PBS -V
>> #PBS -l nodes=1:mem=4gb
>> ##
>> cd $PBS_O_WORKDIR
>>
>> But it is
>>
>> #!/bin/bash
>> RESULTSDIR=/media/Results/
>> ANALYSISDIR=~/Documents/Projects/analysis/
>> #PBS -j y
>> #PBS -M address@hidden
>> #PBS -V
>> #PBS -l nodes=1:mem=4gb
>> ##
>> cd $PBS_O_WORKDIR
>>

>> But RESULTSDIR and ANALYSISDIR is used in the remainder of the document
>> (several other subtrees)
>>
>> Any help appreciated,
>>
>> Rainer

- --