[Orgmode] Re: question about capture templates

From: Richard Lawrence
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: question about capture templates
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 08:06:17 -0800

> I do love dynamic scoping, this give a lot of power in Emacs.
> Org-mode internals use that power often.

This is venturing a bit far afield, at least for this thread, but I'm
curious if anyone knows: does the recent work on supporting Elisp in
Guile mean that Elisp applications are eventually expected to be ported
to Scheme?  And if so, what does that mean for Org development?

>> One gotcha: S-expressions in templates are apparently always evaluated
>> as function calls -- you can't just directly access a string value, like
>> %(foo).
>
> I guess you mean a variable value?

Right, yes, a variable with a string value.  I guess my point is more
properly stated by saying there doesn't seem to be a way to evaluate an
atomic S-expression in a template.  But this seems like a fair trade for
not having to write a second set of parentheses around every non-atomic
expression.

> The shortest form may be %(symbol-value foo) if you want to access the
> value of a variable in a template.

That's handy -- thanks!

Richard