Re: [O] xml statement in html and apache error

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] xml statement in html and apache error
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 00:48:02 -0400

Richard Riley <address@hidden> wrote:

> I cant really give too many details or suggestions as to why it failed,
> but the default xml string at the top of export to html files was
> causing apache to fail.
>
> ,----
> | Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in
> | /home/shamrock/common-files/webs/richardriley.net/projects/emacs/index.html
> | on line 1
> `----
>
> I simply removed the html xml declaration,
>
> ,----
> | org-export-html-xml-declaration is a variable defined in `org-html.el'.
> | Its value is
> | (("php" . "<?xml version=\"1.0\" encoding=\"%s\"?>"))
> `----

This looks wrong (even though unrelated to the problem): in my setup I get

org-export-html-xml-declaration is a variable defined in `org-html.el'.
Its value is
(("html" . "<?xml version=\"1.0\" encoding=\"%s\"?>")
 ("php" . "<?php echo \"<?xml version=\\\"1.0\\\" encoding=\\\"%s\\\" ?>\";
?>"))

so deleting the html entry should leave you with the second line. You seem
to have a mash of the two entries instead.

> reexported my private little web, reloaded apache and all was
> well. Which was cool considering I hadnt exported it from the org data
> for all of about 2 years!
>
> Far from thought out, almost certainly not "correct" I am sure, but got
> my web back working.
>
> Possibly someone else can comment on cause/effect.

Well, I exported a toy project and despite the presence of the xml headers,
my apache is not complaining at all. I also spot-checked a couple of files
on orgmode.org and they have the xml header, but apache seems to deliver
them without a problem. Which version of apache are you running? Mine is
2.2.16.

Nick

PS. The exercise also uncovered an org bug but I'll post that as a
separate message.