Re: [O] [ANN] org-bibtex.el --- convert between Org headings and bibtex

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] [ANN] org-bibtex.el --- convert between Org headings and bibtex entries
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 13:00:34 -0600

Hi Tom,

"Thomas S. Dye" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Eric,
>
> This could be very useful and a significant enhancement to Org-mode
> for note taking.  With it, library time can be spent almost entirely
> within Org-mode, capturing bibliographic information and taking
> reading notes.  It feels like the right level of functionality--
> lightweight and easy to use, with lots of prompting material.

Thanks, I hope so.

> I created an entry with org-bibtex-create and then another with org-
> bibtex-read/write.  When I ran org-bibtex, only the second entry was
> exported.  Also, the org-bibtex-read/write process mangled the bibtex
> entry a bit, so the resulting .bib file wasn't useful.  Note the
> addition of {} around the publisher and year, and the truncation of
> multi-line entries.

I /believe/ I have fixed this issue.  I am now using pre-existing bibtex
functions for reading in entries, and for cleaning up entries written by
org-bibtex.

> Can I suggest some changes?
>
> 1) In our multi-user environment, where several authors are
> contributing to a master bibtex file, we depend on the key generating
> algorithm of bibtex-mode to help weed out duplicate entries.   This
> isn't 100% effective, but it catches lots of duplicates and saves us
> time.  Would it be possible to lift this mechanism and use it in org-
> bibtex to generate the CUSTOM_ID?

I've added a new variable `org-bibtex-autogen-keys' which when set to t
will result in auto-generated keys being used instead of prompting the
user to input such keys.

> 2) It might be better to use the (generated) key as the Org headline,
> instead of the title.  Titles can be longer than I find comfortable
> for an Org-mode headline, whereas keys are usually about the right
> length.

Hmm, I would tend to disagree here, but I think it may be a matter of
taste.  Note that if you include a TITLE property in a headline then it
will be used instead of the contents of the headline, leaving you free
to put whatever information you want into the headline.  I've just
updated the headline creation so that it will create such a title
property as well as using the title as the headline, leaving you free to
subsequently change the headline.

> 3) org-bibtex-cite seems like a natural next step, especially if it
> offers a list of keys in the Org-mode buffer.

Meaning a function to allow tab-completion on keys...  I could see this
being useful but I would imagine that the bib entries would generally
not live in the same buffer as the Org-mode text... rather I'd think
some sort of global registry would be preferable.

Thanks for the suggestions, bug reports, and examples!

Please do let me know if any of these issues remain -- Eric

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/