Re: [O] how to change the headline starter *

From: Christian Moe
Subject: Re: [O] how to change the headline starter *
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2011 11:59:19 +0200

On 7/17/11 10:08 AM, Aankhen wrote (in response to Pieter Prat):
What the OP is suggesting effectively nullifies the separation between
>  model and view in that it would allow changing Org-mode's outlining
>  markup at its very core, potentially leading to a wildgrowth of "custom"
>  markup formats which could hardly be called "plain text" anymore, not to
>  mention the avalanche of PEBCAK-related bug reports it may unleash.
I’m very confused.  Couldn’t the compatibility and standardization
problems be avoided entirely by indicating the character at the top of
the file if it differs from the norm?

And why would, say, changing the headline starter from ‘*’ to ‘+’ make
it any less of a plain text format?  Or, for that matter, changing it
to ‘→’?  These are all valid UTF-8 characters that any Unicode-aware
application is expected to understand and deal with.

Fwiw, I disagree: I think this is to confuse syntax with view.

Model = entry with heading
Syntax = *
View = * (colorized)

Compare HTML:

Model = heading, 1st level
Syntax = <h1>...</h1>
View = larger font-size, bold

With CSS, HTML allows you to make headings look like anything you want. (Yes, they could even begin with a star!) But noone would request the right to write them (h1)...(/h1) or \h1{...} instead, just because they don't like the way angle brackets look. Yet that's the kind of change that has been discussed in this thread.

In Org-mode, I assume the view could be changed with overlays, at a cost in efficiency. If that were implemented, Harven could type stars, but see bullets. He should still type stars because they're part of the syntax, not of the view.

There is /some/ support for prettifying headlines already: [[info:org#Clean view]]

Me, I'm fine with the status quo: This is /not/ a feature request.

Yours,
Christian